Need Help?


How do I locate a domestic violence program or shelter?
In San Diego, call: 1-888-DV-LINKS (385-4657)
Outside San Diego, call: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY for the Deaf: 1-800-787-3224
Help is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Se Habla Español.

If you and your loved ones are entering an emergency DV shelter, contact the RCHS ASP for assistance with your pet(s). Contact the Rancho Coastal Humane Society Animal Safehouse Program at 1-760-753-6476 for assistance (24 hours).

What if I have difficulty getting my pet out of the house?
A law enforcement agency should be able to assist you in this matter. It may help if your pet is listed on a Temporary Protective Order (TPO), where a judge may order law enforcement to escort you to retrieve your pet. If you need assistance in listing your pet on a TPO, see our guidelines, or you or your representative may call 1-888-DV-LINKS (385-4657) for further information. Try and take your pet with you when you leave, even if you have to place your pet(s) with a friend or relative for a short period of time. It is also helpful to obtain some proof of ownership, such as purchase or adoption paper work, dog license, health bill or AKC papers. Have your animals included in a Temporary Protection Order (TPO) as soon as possible. For more information on obtaining a TPO, contact 1-888-DV_LINKS (385-4657).

How do I list my pet on my temporary protective order (TPO)?
Download an informational .PDF file here.

What if I am unable to secure pet friendly housing?
You may relinquish your pet(s) to RCHS and every effort will be made to find them a loving, new home.

Can I request temporary care for my companion animal myself?
Yes, as long as a DV advocate confirms your placement in a emergency DV shelter.

Is there a fee for your service?
No, the ASP is funded entirely on private funding and donations.

What kinds of animals do you accept?
The ASP is able to take in dogs, cats, rabbits, birds, snakes, rats, mice, guinea pigs, other small animals and in some cases, livestock. If the animal admitted into the ASP is not spayed or neutered we will require permission at the time of admittance to have the surgery preformed on the animal(s).
* Ferrets are illegal in the state of California and cannot be admitted.

How long can you keep my pet?
The length of temporary care will begin with 14 days and extensions made be granted. Extensions will not automatically be granted. They must be requested. You must retain communication with the ASP director. After 48 hours of the contract expiration, the animal(s) are considered abandoned per CA penal code. Individualized plans may be available.

Where will you keep my pet?
Animal(s) may be cared for at the shelter, a qualified foster home or a veterinarian’s office. For the protection of the animal(s) and the foster family involved, the location of care is kept confidential. .

What happens to my pet when they are taken in by the ASP?
The animal(s) will receive a basic health assessment, spay/neuter surgery (required for admittance into the ASP), a microchip, food, shelter, exercise and playtime. Emergency medical will be provided as needed. You will be contacted in the event of an emergency.

Will I be able to visit my pet?
Visitation is encouraged and can be arranged by calling the shelter 48 hours in advance. Every effort to allow visitation will be made however, for security and confidentiality reasons, visitations in some cases will not be granted. In addition, you may call the shelter between the hours of 11AM and 5PM to check on your pet at 760-753-6476.

Can I check on my pet?
Yes! You can call us any time between 11AM and 5PM to check on your pet at 760-753-6413. I had that included in the visitation FAQ so this can be deleted.

What forms do I have to sign?
Once your pets are accepted into the ASP, your case manager or an ASP representative will assist you in filling out our client packet. The packet includes a contract, foster care agreement, animal profile and health release form. The following items are helpful to the staff and volunteers caring for your animal but not required: a photograph of your batterer, veterinarian records or name of your veterinarian, special food, medication or any items your pet(s) frequently uses or loves. All information is kept confidential.

Support The Animal Safehouse Program